Monday, October 20, 2008

Husband and wife discovers why contraception is wrong

Scott Hahn and his wife Kimberly are converts to the Catholic Church. You can watch Scott regularly on cable EWTN “The Journey Home.”
--
“When God made man, male and female, the first command he gave them was to be fruitful and multiply. This was to image God-Father, Son and Holy Spirit, three in one, the Divine Family. So when “the two become one” in the covenant of marriage, the “one” they become is so real that nine months later they might have to give it a name! The child embodies their covenant oneness.
I began to see that every time Kimberly and I performed the marital act we were doing something sacred. And every time we thwarted the life-giving power of love through contraception, we were doing something profane. (Treating something sacred in a merely common way profanes it, by definition).
I was impressed, but I was very quiet about being impressed. Kimberly asked me what I though of the book; I said it was interesting. Then I began to watch her pick off my friends, one at a time- some of the best and the brightest changed their minds!
Then I discovered how all the reformers- Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Knox, and all the rest-held the same position as the Catholic Church on this issue.
I grew disturbed. The Roman Catholic Church stood along as the only “denomination” in all the world with the courage and integrity to teach this most unpopular truth. I did not know what to make of it. So I resorted to an old family saying: “Even a blind hog can find an acorn.” I mean, after two thousand years, the Catholic Church was bound to get something right.
Catholic or not, it was true. So we threw out the contraceptives we were using and began trusting the Lord in a new way with our family plans. First, we used Natural Family Planning for a number of months. Then we decided to be open to new life whenever God saw fit to bless us.” Scott and Kimberly Hahn
“Rome Sweet Home- Our Journey to Catholicism”
pp. 28-29 Ignatius Press San Francisco